With the CRB (Canada Recovery Benefit) ending on October 23, 2021, the federal government has announced the Canada Worker Lockdown Benefit.
The new benefit will provide income support to workers whose employment is interrupted by government-imposed public health lockdowns.
How much is the benefit?
- Eligible applicants will receive $300 per week
- The benefit is accessible for the entire duration of a government-imposed public health lockdown
Who is eligible?
The CWLB is available to workers:
- Who experience work interruption as a direct result of a government-imposed public health lockdown
- Regardless of whether they are eligible or ineligible for Employment Insurance (EI)*
*EI and the CWLB cannot be claimed at the same time
Who is not eligible?
Individuals whose loss of income or employment is due to their refusal to adhere to a vaccine mandate will not be able to access the benefit.
Can I also claim EI?
No. Workers who are eligible for EI can also be eligible for the CWLB, but they cannot claim both.
How long is the benefit available?
- The benefit comes into effect on October 24, 2021 and is available until May 7, 2022
- Retroactive applications are available to October 24, 2021 should the situation warrant it
How do I apply?
Applications are not currently open. Application details have not yet been finalized or published by the government, but they are expected to be released in the upcoming weeks.
If you have any questions about the Canada Worker Lockdown Benefit, please contact one of our HR Consulting experts or complete the contact form below.
You may also like...View all news
Tyler Brack has been admitted into the Partnership at Avail CPA
Tyler brings with him an extensive knowledge of financial planning, wealth management, retirement planning, and insurance.
Career Opportunity | CPA Candidate - Lethbridge
We are currently seeking a full-time CPA Candidate to join our team in Lethbridge.
Career Opportunity | Accounting Technician - Invermere
We are seeking an experienced full-time Accounting Technician to join our Invermere team.
Have questions? Book a free consultation. It's really just a casual conversation where we try to learn more about you and your goals, and how we can help you achieve those.