The Alberta government is offering small businesses affected by the most recent public health orders another payment of up to $10,000 from the Small and Medium Enterprise Relaunch Grant (SMERG).
The updated SMERG program will replace the previously announced Enhanced COVID-19 Business Benefit and will provide funding to more businesses facing increased public health measures as announced on April 6.
Who can apply?
The SMERG offers financial assistance to:
- Alberta businesses, cooperatives and non-profit organizations with fewer than 500 employees that
- have faced restrictions or closures due to COVID-related public health orders, and
- have experienced revenue losses of at least 30%
This additional payment will also be available to new businesses that began operating between March 1, 2020 and March 31, 2021, as well as hotels, taxis and ride-sharing services.
How much will I get?
The payment is calculated as 15% of an eligible organization's pre-curtailed monthly revenue to a maximum of $10,000.
Do I have to pay the money back?
No. Money received under SMERG does not need to be repaid.
When can I apply?
Alberta businesses affected by the latest public health orders will be eligible to apply in the second half of April.
- Applications received before the previous program closure on March 31 will continue to be processed
- Companies that did not apply under the first run of SMERG will not be able to apply for the initial payments – only the new $10,000 payment
The program is scheduled to be open for applications until May 31 and is capped at $350 million.
Please visit the Government of Alberta SMERG page for the most up-to-date application information:
What can recovery aid be used for?
Funds can be used to:
- Cover costs of items that help prevent the spread of COVID-19, such as personal protective equipment and cleaning supplies
- Pay rent, employee wages or replace inventory
- Help businesses expand their online presence or e-commerce opportunities so that they can continue to serve customers
Additional supports for businesses are available through the federal government HERE.
You may also like...View all news
Career Opportunity | Management Co-op - Taber
We are currently seeking a full-time Management Co-op to join our team in Taber.
Career Opportunity | CPA Candidate - Lethbridge
We are currently seeking a full-time CPA Candidate to join our team in Lethbridge.
Career Opportunity | Management Co-op - Lethbridge
We are currently seeking a full-time Management Co-op student to join our team in Lethbridge.
Have questions? Book a free consultation. It's really just a casual conversation where we try to learn more about you and your goals, and how we can help you achieve those.