Canada Emergency Commercial Rent Assistance (CECRA)
*The information provided on this page is preliminary in nature. We will update this page as more information becomes available.
In a partnership with all provinces and territories, the Government of Canada has reached an agreement in principle to implement the Canada Emergency Commercial Rent Assistance (CECRA).
What is the Canada Emergency Commercial Rent Assistance (CERCA)?
The CERCA program will lower rent by 75% for small businesses that have been impacted by COVID-19.
Does my business qualify?
You are considered to be an eligible, impacted small business if you:
• are a small business tenant
• pay less than $50,000 per month in rent
• have temporarily ceased operations OR have experienced a 70% drop versus pre-COVID-19 revenues
How much do I have to pay?
Who pays for the other 75%?
• The program will provide forgivable loans to qualifying commercial property owners to cover 50% of three monthly rent payments (April, May, June)
• The loans will be forgiven if the mortgaged property owner agrees to reduce the tenants’ rent by at least 75% for the three corresponding months under a rent forgiveness agreement that includes a term not to evict the tenant while the agreement is in place
Which months of rent will this cover?
The agreement covers the rents for April and May, retroactively, and for June, 2020.
What if I am a non-profit or charity?
The support will also be available to non-profit and charitable organizations
Who will oversee the payments?
The Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation will administer and deliver the CECRA.
How do I apply?
You can apply here:
For a complete list of our COVID-19 resources for individuals and businesses, please visit availcpa.com/resources