Alberta businesses can receive up to $10,000 through updated provincial grant
The Alberta government is offering small businesses affected by the most recent public health orders another payment of up to $10,000 from the Small and Medium Enterprise Relaunch Grant (SMERG).
The updated SMERG program will replace the previously announced Enhanced COVID-19 Business Benefit and will provide funding to more businesses facing increased public health measures as announced on April 6, 2021.
Who can apply?
The SMERG offers financial assistance to:
- Alberta businesses, cooperatives and non-profit organizations with fewer than 500 employees that
- have faced restrictions or closures due to COVID-related public health orders, and
- have experienced revenue losses of at least 30%
This additional payment will also be available to:
- new businesses that began operating between March 1, 2020 and March 31, 2021
- ride-sharing services
How much will I get?
The payment is calculated as 15% of an eligible organization's pre-curtailed monthly revenue to a maximum of $10,000.
Do I have to pay the money back?
No. Money received under SMERG does not need to be repaid.
When can I apply?
Alberta businesses affected by the latest public health orders will be eligible to apply in the second half of April.*
- Applications received before the previous program closure on March 31 will continue to be processed
- Companies that did not apply under the first run of SMERG will not be able to apply for the initial payments – only the new $10,000 payment
The program is scheduled to be open for applications until May 31 and is capped at $350 million.
*At the time of writing this article, a hard-date for open applications has not been announced. We will update this content when an official date is released.
Please visit the Government of Alberta SMERG page for the most up-to-date application information:
What can recovery aid be used for?
Funds can be used to:
- Cover costs of items that help prevent the spread of COVID-19, such as personal protective equipment and cleaning supplies
- Pay rent, employee wages or replace inventory
- Help businesses expand their online presence or e-commerce opportunities so that they can continue to serve customers
Additional supports for businesses are available through the federal government HERE.
|Contact the Avail CPA Help Desk|