3 Ways to Improve Your Management Skills
Spark Business Consultation
As a business or farm owner, you are leading a growing company with employees who have high expectations of ownership. But have your management skills kept pace with your business growth?
Here are 3 ways that you can improve your leadership – and contribute to your organization’s success.
- Communication – There are 4 main communication styles and knowing how you and your team individually communicate will go a long way to improving understanding and connectedness.
- Blunt communicators like to be in charge, be challenged, and want quick results.
- Sincere communicators like to be team players and need a lot of personal attention.
- Influencer communicators typically talk a lot and can be very persuasive.
- Detailed communicators are thorough and structured, leaving little unsaid.
- Delegation – Proper delegation not only allows you more time to focus on the things that only you as the business or farm owner can do, it also creates opportunities for your staff to take on more challenges and opportunities.
- Decide what to delegate and who to delegate to, considering skills and capabilities
- Clearly describe the task/project to be completed; provide background information; identify resources; outline expectations and results; and ensure mutual understanding
- Be specific with the timeframe for the task/project, including milestones and deadlines
- Define the level of authority and decision-making
- Agree on checkpoints to review progress and provide feedback
- Follow-up to review what went well and what could have been improved
- Accountability – There are only two reasons why someone fails to meet expectations: either they don’t want to (lack of motivation) or they don’t know how (lack of capability). Whether individual, social, or environment motivation and capability are at play, understanding the real reason for lack of accountability will help you develop a plan for successful results. Encourage accountability by:
- Clearly communicating expectations
- Setting goals
- Monitoring performance
- Returning and reporting
- Being persistent and consistent
Spending some time working on these 3 areas of management skills will pay off for you personally and professionally. Our Avail CPA business consultants can help you work in-depth on these and other leadership areas. Talk to us today to find out more.
Click here for a downloadable PDF of "3 Ways to Improve Your Management Skills".